Thursday, February 3, 2011

Puppy Love

So, if you haven’t heard this story, and are not squeamish, you can catch up about the Canadian man who inhumanely slaughtered dozens of sled dogs after the business that used them could no longer afford to keep them, at this link here:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-mulls-changes-sled-dog-kill-minister-20110202-010010-583.html

If you’re squeamish like me, I’ve probably told you everything you want and need to know about it.

It’s no secret to my friends and family that I am a “dog person”. My two rescued Golden Retrievers (from the fabulous Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston!) are an exuberant manifestation of pure, uncomplicated love, and I am honored to live and learn in their presence. I truly feel privileged that I get to share my life with these two animals.



Especially when you consider what abuse we, as the most inhumane species of all animals, perpetrate upon our faithful, loving companions. From dogfighting to abandonment, dogs bear the brunt of human sickness and selfishness and become victims of horrible crimes of the human soul.

What a gross disrespect of the animals that chose to throw their lot in with us thousands of years ago! Dogs and humans have evolved symbiotically throughout the millennia and share a special psychological and spiritual bond that humans share with few—if any—other creatures. (Neurobiological Nerd Alert: if you have an interest in learning more about our co-evolution, watch the NOVA special “Dogs Decoded”. Available on Netflix Streaming via Xbox Live. It will absolutely blow your mind!)

So, the aforementioned article really cut to the quick of my soul. I truly lost sleep last night not only thinking of the sadness of the loss of canine life…I was also thinking of the human lives that could have been enriched if those slaughtered dogs had been adopted into loving homes. We all have our favorite breed of dogs, mine obviously being Goldens since I was raised with (and by?) them as a child. But lately, I have developed such an appreciation for the Arctic breeds, such as huskies. This is owing to my participation with Rummy’s Beach Club, a private dog pool where owners can bring their dogs and play in the pool for an hour. In addition to swimming my dogs there, I currently teach aqua pilates/yoga for humans there!

Rummy’s is named after a blind Siberian Husky who was rescued by Houston’s own Husky Haven. With my business partnership with Rummy’s, I have been so lucky to spend time with Rummy and the rest of his pack. Spending time with him allows you to experience the grace of forgiveness and love.

So, in honor of the dogs lost in this incident and countless unreported others, I ask you to please sign the from the Animal Defense Fund petition to take a stand for sled dogs below.

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5154/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=538

No comments:

Post a Comment